Cranston, RI

In 1638, Roger Williams purchased what is now the eastern part of Cranston from the Narragansett Indians. The town was named for Samuel Cranston, governor from 1698 until 1727.

Cranston was incorporated as a town in 1754. Its early industry was mainly textiles. As the Industrial Revolution took hold, immigrants from Ireland, Italy, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Greece, and Armenia arrived to work in the mills.

For nearly 100 years, Cranston also served as home to Rhode Island’s famous Narragansett Brewery. In 1888, six local businessmen organized the Narragansett Brewing Company with a brewmaster from Berlin, Germany. The company constructed a brick brewing house and produced its first beer in December 1890. The Narragansett Brewing Company was situated on New Depot Avenue, Cranston Street, and Garfield Avenue. The brewery closed for good in 1983 due to high production costs.

1. Aborn Street Boat Ramp

A concrete ramp is located off Broad Street, at the end of Aborn Street. However, it is usable only at high tide, because the entire cove is navigable only at high tide. Although no parking is permitted in the immediate area, there is parking for more than 20 cars at the nearby city-owned Commercial Street parking lot.

  • CRMC ROW#: K-2

Fig: Cranston2. Seaview Park

Located on a cul-de-sac at the end of Seaview Avenue, this small park overlooks historic Pawtuxet Cove. The area is enclosed on three sides with a three-rail wood fence and has a picnic table and park benches. There is no parking on the cul-de-sac.

  • CRMC ROW#: K-3
  • Trash receptacles

3. Ocean Avenue

At the foot of Ocean Avenue, next to the Rhode Island Yacht Club, five steps in a concrete seawall lead to a beach that is accessible only at low tide.

  • Scenic view

4. Stillhouse Cove

A grassy strip at the southern end of Narragansett Boulevard overlooks the Rhode Island Yacht Club, Stillhouse Cove, and the Providence River. There is an unmarked asphalt boat ramp in poor condition leading to the Providence River. The ramp is situated on a muddy, rocky shore and is usable only at extreme high tides. The town plans to construct a concrete, 15-foot-wide concrete ramp by 2005. No on-street parking is available.

  • Picnicking, wildlife observation

5. Arnold Avenue

Arnold Avenue ends in a small grassy area. In spite of a chain link fence on top of the concrete seawall, this is a pleasant spot to bring a lunch and enjoy the view of the river.